If you are a regular reader of Let’s Geek, you might have noticed that I upgraded my blog to Thesis framework about a month ago. Thesis is a premium wordpress theme designed to be SEO-optimized, clean-coded and easy to customize. But why to go for a paid theme, when there are thousands of good-looking free themes available out there? Believe me, that was the question in my mind too. I tried a lot of free themes, before switching to Thesis – Carrington, Thematic, Techykind, Oracle Magazine, Zinfolio, iLookGood, Zendpress – you name it. None satisfied me completely, I am not saying that they were bad. It can also be my lack of knowledge to tweak them as per my needs, but something was missing.
Then I read about Thesis!
Initially, my reaction was that it is more of a hype than real good stuff. But then I watched the below video on Thesis customization and I instantly loved the flexibility of the theme.
I immediately purchased the personal license for Thesis and grabbed my copy. What’s my take on it? I loved it! really. Why? You will see in a while.
- Thesis is clean-coded (especially since version 1.7 as Chris Pearson revamped the entire theme to tie the loose ends)
- Thesis is one of the few themes designed with Search Engine Optimization in mind
- Minimal or no coding required to use Thesis as it is
- Ready-to-use simple and elegant design
- Highly customizable. This is one of the best thing about Thesis. You can customize almost anything, be it font, background color, layout (2-column, 3-column), comments, header, navigation menu. Most of the options you can change just from the Thesis Design options page without making any changes to underlying code.
- Thesis theme has one of the best support online. You can get almost any of your queries answered in Thesis support forums. Besides, there are so many sites out there running on Thesis, you can learn from them.
- Big names in blogging like Brian Clark, Matt Cutts, Danny Sullivan using it, why not you?
- Extend by creating your custom skins with minimal coding
- Cross-browser compatibility with zero changes
Who Is Thesis Suitable For?
Now, that you know how powerful Thesis is, you may want to know if it for you. You should go for Thesis if:
- You are serious about blogging and online money making
- You want to rank higher in Google and other search engines (although, Thesis doesn’t guarantee this, but faster page loading and better SEO helps you get there)
- You want a rock-solid, high-performance theme without much fuss
- You have no experience in SEO, but want to focus on contents
- You have multiple blogs and you don’t want to pay for theme for each blog
- If you want theme with life-time support and free upgrades
Thesis theme is NOT for you if:
- You are hobbyist and doesn’t want to spend too much on premium themes
- You are looking for flashy theme (although you can tweak Thesis to do it). Thesis is all about simplicity.
- You are clueless about CSS/PHP coding. Thesis theme, out-of-box, doesn’t required any coding knowledge, but to tweak it your needs requires some CSS/PHP familiarity.
- If you are not hosting WordPress blog
Thesis comes with two pricing plans:
- Personal License which costs $87, can be used on single website, with Thesis attribution link in the footer, life time support and free updates.
- Developer’s License which costs $164 (or upgrade from Personal license for $77), can be used on any number of sites, without any attribution link, access to beta versions before release, life-time support and free updates and client-site deployment options.
If you are not sure which pricing plan is suitable for you, you can go for personal license first and then upgrade to Developer’s license in future, if you want.
Ever since I upgraded to Thesis, I never looked for another theme. Thesis has practically filled all the gaps and I am simply loving it. Just so that you know, Thesis 2.0 is coming soon and price is going to skyrocket then. If you are thinking to buy Thesis or upgrade your current license, DO IT NOW!!! I did myself.
Just to be honest with you, I don’t want you to buy Thesis just because I am Thesis affiliate and want to earn commission. Go check out for yourself, check the videos, Google what other people are saying about Thesis and then make your mind. One more thing, Thesis comes with 30-days money back guarantee. So don’t be afraid to give it a try it. If you decide to buy Thesis, I would be glad if you choose to buy Thesis through the below affiliate link:
I am planning on doing some tutorials on Thesis soon and hoping your engagement and support there. Let me know if you have any doubts or questions regarding Thesis, if you are already using it. I will try my best to clear it. Keep geeking!