It’s a known fact that 99% of the people surfing on the web does not know how to use Google properly (may not be well known, but it’s a fact nonetheless). Here I am not talking about the Geeks or Software Pros, I am talking about the casual web users. It often is a pain for these people to pull relevant information out of Google. You may not get accurate results if you don’t know how to refine your search. This not only applies to Google but to Bing, Yahoo and pretty much every search engine out there. It’s frustrating, isn’t it? I can understand your pain but, hey, I have a good news for you! There is a tool called SortFix which is designed to trim your problems and make your web experience real fun. You don’t believe it? Okay, go on and read below.
What is SortFix?
SortFix is a system which allows you to type words to search for and then, by scanning the results it provides user with significant keywords to refine the search further. It achieves this by following simple bucket approach. For example, let’s say when I type “Alice in wonderland” in search box, it provides me results with four buckets:
1. Power Words Bucket – This bucket contains the so-called “Power Words” i.e. most relevant keywords. These power words are generated by SortFix based on significance and relevancy of the words in results. In my example, words like “tim”, “burton’s”, “walt”, “disney”, “movie”, “lewis” etc. are power words.
2. Add To Search Bucket – You can drag desired words from Power Words bucket to this bucket to narrow down the search based on those words. Let’s say I want the results for Alice in Wonderland book, I will add “Lewis”, “carroll’s”, “adventures” to this bucket.
3. Remove Bucket – Drag the unnecessary words from Power Words bucket and add it here. The words added here will be excluded from the search to reduce the unwanted “noise” in the results. In my case, I don’t want any information related to the movie, so I will add “tim”, “burton’s”, “movie”, “film”, “walt”, “disney” to this bucket.
4. Dictionary Bucket – This bucket simply works like a normal dictionary. You can drag any word to this bucket and its meaning will be displayed instantly in this bucket. You can think of this bucket as “define:” clause in Google search.
Once you filled the buckets with appropriate words, you can click on Search button to refine your search. In my case, I was presented with even more relevant power words like “illustrated”, “Children’s”, “literature” and so on. You can repeat the process of adding words to bucket again and again to narrow down your search results further. Believe me, it may sound a bit complicated, but it’s really fun to play with!
So, What Are The Benefits?
1. It provides an easy to use interface to refine your search results rather than going through series of unwanted results pages
2. Remember, SortFix is not a search engine by itself. It merely provides an interface to simplify entering search string. Hence, you can run your search query across Google, Bing, Twitter, YouTube and Bing Image search, all from the single interface.
3. You don’t need to be pro in Google or Bing, just need to know how to type 😉
What are you still doing reading this blog post, huh? Go, check out this super cool tool and let me know how you liked it or not by leaving the comments below. Keep geeking!
Disclaimer: I do not have any affiliate links with SortFix or not promoting their stuff. It’s my humble attempt to share something which I found out and turned out to be quite nice tool.